Wowza nDVR in Wowza Streaming Engine™ live streaming software enables you to record a live stream while simultaneously enabling users to play or pause the live stream, rewind to a previously recorded point, or resume viewing at the current live point over the Adobe HDS, Apple HLS, and Microsoft Smooth Streaming protocols. This means newly encoded streams can be played on many popular media players such as Adobe Flash Player, Microsoft Silverlight player, Apple iPhone, iPad and iPod touch and Apple QuickTime player (version 10 or greater), Android smartphones and tablets, IPTV/OTT set-top boxes, and other players and devices.
Wowza nDVR doesn't support HTTP playback of DVR streams using the MPEG-DASH streaming protocol.
The Apple iPhone 3GS (and older) and iPod touch devices require that video be encoded using H.264 format (Baseline profile level 3 or lower) and AAC or MP3 stereo audio.
The Microsoft Silverlight player requires that both audio and video be present for playback. For live streaming only, the keyframe frequency (which can be set directly in some encoders or is gop/fps) must be between 1 and 4 seconds (2 seconds is recommended). Anything greater than 4 seconds may cause playback to freeze.
- Recording of live streams:
- H.264 video
- AAC or MP3 audio
- Audio/Video, audio-only streams, and video-only streams
- HTTP playback of recorded streams:
- Adobe HTTP Dynamic Streaming (Adobe HDS/San Jose)
- Apple HTTP Live Streaming (Apple HLS/Cupertino)
- Microsoft Smooth Streaming (Smooth)
- Multiple-bitrate streams that are time-aligned
This section provides the basic steps for setting up a MediaCP service for live streaming with DVR capability using Wowza Streaming Engine Manager.
- In the MediaCP click on Services and then Create a new server.
- Select the customer to deploy the service, select Wowza Streaming as the Media Service Type then click on Continue.
- Provide a Service Name for the service, ensure the Live Streaming service type is selected then Continue.
- Change the nDVR AddOn setting to Enabled then click Create Service.
- Once created, click on the Media Player tab and begin streaming; after a short while you should be able to rewind the stream.