This article covers the technical requirements of setting up your audio streaming platform to run your business. To operate the MediaCP you will require three primary components including a Domain Name, a Server or VPS and the MediaCP license itself.
Purchase your domain name
The first step is to purchase a domain name. If you already have a domain name, then you can skip this step.
You can purchase a relatively cheap domain name from Namecheap.com. This is our recommended go-to for domain purchases because they are cheap, provide decent enough support and comes packed with features.
Determine the MediaCP address
Now we must determine which address to use for the MediaCP software. Since the top-level domain name is typically used to point to your own website, we recommend using a sub-domain.
In this tutorial we’ll be using streaming.mediacp.net (not a real address). Some other suggestions are radio.mediacp.net, audio.mediacp.net, panel.mediacp.net. It is entirely up to you.
Purchase and setup a new VPS
A VPS is a great way to get started quickly and affordably, we recommend Vultr since they offer a great stable platform in almost every region of the world. The benefit of most VPS services is that as you grow and gain more customers, you can gradually upgrade to a more VPS with one-click from Vultr.
Which VPS do i choose?
Vultr offers a number of options and we recommend starting with a Cloud Compute instance since it is a good all-rounder and slightly cheaper to increase memory when you start adding more clients.
The System Requirements state that you will need at least 2 GB of memory so the 1 vCPU / 2 GB Memory option is a great start and will be enough for a small amount of audio services with AutoDJ.
- Navigate to the Vultr website using this link and you will recieve a $100 credit at Vultr.
- Scroll down until you see the $10 instance as shown above and click “Deploy Now”
- You will first need to sign up if you don’t already have an account
- Now select the Cloud Compute option and the location where you want to deploy your service as shown in the image below.
- Scroll down and select Debian 11 as the operating system
- Select the instance size of your preference
- Finally scroll the rest of the way to the bottom of the page and enter your MediaCP address/domain that we determined in the section above. In this example we use streaming.mediacp.net then you can press the Deploy button
- The VPS may take a few minutes before it is ready. Once ready copy the IP address provided to somewhere safe, we’ll be using this to point our domain name to the server.
Connect your domain
Now that the VPS is ready and your domain name is registered, we can connect the domain to the newly provisioned VPS. Select your provider below for instructions on how to do this.
- Login to Namecheap
- Click on the Manage button next to your domain name
- Click on the Advanced DNS tab near the top of the page
- Click on the + ADD NEW RECORD button
- Enter the first part of your sub-domain into the Host field. For example, in relation to streaming.mediacp.net we’ll enter only “streaming” into the Host Field. When ready, press the green tick to save the changes.
- Your domain name is now ready to be used with the MediaCP
The MediaCP Support team provide a free installation service for all new trials, and also paid licenses. This is the best way to get started and ensure everything is running optimally. Alternatively, if you would like to install the product yourself it is also fairly straight forward and we have provided instructions below.
Installation services are typically completed within the next business day, please note this excludes weekends.
- Open the Installation Service Request Form
- Copy and paste the IP Address and Root Password from Vultr into the form as shown in the image below.
- Read and agree to the Terms & Conditions then press the Submit Installation Request.
- A ticket requesting to install the MediaCP software will now be created and you will receive an email confirmation.